Blog

• Thu, 12/19/2013

It was definitely an experience to follow the Nineteenth Session on the Conference of the Parties (COP 19) in Warsaw.  This was my first time actively following any sort of world conference.  My initial reaction is that it is so painstakingly formal and structured.  I understand the need for...

• Wed, 12/18/2013

Before taking a class about environmental negotiations, I had a different (or vague) idea of how negotiations are conducted. I had assumed that it is a large gathering of countries, where they state their positions or beliefs and argue over the numbers of targets, but I had no idea how the...

• Tue, 12/17/2013

Delegates attend closing session of COP 19

Personally following the climate...

• Wed, 12/11/2013

I had never closely followed any international environmental negotiations before the 19th United Nations Conference of the Parties (COP19), and because of that I previously assumed that wealthy nations were simply too selfish to make the financial contributions necessary to curb...

• Tue, 12/10/2013

With the tragedy of Typhoon Haiyan setting the stage for the United Nation Framework Convention on Climate Change’s (UNFCCC) 19th conference of parties, there was a good deal of hope that significant progress would be made in Warsaw.   Prior to COP19 the International Panel on Climate...

• Tue, 12/10/2013

After spending the past semester learning about global environmental negotiations, our class had the opportunity to follow COP19 in Warsaw this November. Tracking the negotiations provided the perfect platform for applying our knowledge and testing what we’d learned. Our class watched live...

• Mon, 12/09/2013

With COP 19 having wrapped just over a week ago, its time we take a step back and ask ourselves where we are now…

The goal of this COP was not to develop any kind of legally binding agreement, but to develop some draft text, framework, and common understanding in preparation for COP 21,...

• Fri, 12/06/2013

The COP19 in Warsaw, Poland concluded in the early hours of Saturday November 23. This followed the last minute scrambling around of delegates trying to get something down on paper with respect to actions on climate change (...

• Sat, 11/23/2013

With one side portraying climate change as doomsday for the earth and the other side calling it a load of hodgepodge, the science can sometimes get lost in the political debate.  Both...

• Fri, 11/22/2013

“The public perception is that we meet but do not act. “ – H.E. Ms. Doris Leuthard Minister, Switzerland.

Photo Credit: ...