About Us

Prof. Noelle Selin

I am Assistant Professor of Engineering Systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with a joint appointment as Assistant Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences. I am also affiliated with the Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change. My research focuses on using atmospheric chemistry modeling to inform decision-making strategies on air pollution, climate change and mercury pollution

http://mit.edu/selin 
Twitter: @noelleselin

Vanya Britto

I am a senior at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology studying Environmental Engineering.  I am also minoring in Environmental Public Policy and concentrating in Women and Gender studies.  I am from California, but lived in India when I was younger.  Through MIT, I have done various work in Fiji, Italy, and Uganda.   I love the outdoors and am also an avid tennis player.

Kelsey Boulanger

I am a second year PhD candidate working with Professor Jesse Kroll in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. My research focuses on atmospheric chemistry, and particularly long-term trends in atmospheric organic particulate matter. I received my B.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of California at Berkeley. I am especially interested in public awareness and education regarding climate change.

Twitter: @KelseyBoulanger

Anthony Carrasquillo

I am a fifth year PhD candidate studying Atmospheric Chemistry with Professor Jesse Kroll in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at MIT. My research focuses on understanding the major mechanisms and reactive pathways that lead to the formation of organic aerosol from gas phase precursors. I have a B.A. in Chemistry and Environmental Studies from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. 

Jonathan Franklin

2nd Year Graduate student in Civil and Environmental Engineering focusing on atmospheric chemistry of particulate matter in Earth’s atmosphere as well as atmospheres of other planets.

Miling Li

I am Miling, a doctoral student at Harvard School of Public Health. My main research interest lies in exploring risks of environmental chemicals for aquatic ecosystems and human health. The current research topic is closely related to mercury exposure from seafood and how the exposures are likely to be affected by environmental changes. Before coming to Harvard, I was dual degree Master’s student in Aquatic Science and Environmental Health Sciences at University of Michigan.

Kyle Peet

I am a PhD student in Civil and Environmental Engineering and I study Environmental Microbiology. More specifically I study microorganisms from deep subsurface environments and how they survive high CO2 stress in the context of geologic carbon sequestration. I'm broadly interested in biology, energy and science policy.

Rodrigo Rodríguez Tornquist

Rodrigo is an environmental specialist at the Argentine Secretariat of Transport, where he heads the Environmental Management Division at the National Railways Administration. As President of the Association SustentAr, a non-profit organization to promote sustainable and climate resilient development, he participates in several Latin American initiatives for tackling climate change. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Political Science with specialization in international affairs from the Catholic University of Argentina, and is finishing his thesis for a master’s degree in environmental management at the Universidad de San Martin. At MIT, he plans to further build his knowledge and skills to promote sustainable development and improve environmental governance.

Email: rorro at mit dot edu

Rebecca Silverman

Rebecca is a senior in Course 11 focusing on environmental policy and planning with a minor in Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences. She serves as Chapter President for her sorority, Pi Beta Phi, and intends to pursue a career as an environmental lawyer. Rebecca spent the past summer working for MIT CoLab’s Green Economic Development Initiative during which she researched energy efficiency policies and initiatives and helped develop energy efficiency policy recommendations for four partner cities across the United States. She is also currently involved, through MIT’s undergraduate research program, with the New England Climate Adaptation Program through which she is assisting with running and analyzing negotiation simulations to improve stakeholders’ understanding of climate change risks for coastal New England towns and cities.

Twitter: @Rsilverm12

Corey Tucker

Corey is a first year master’s student in the Technology and Policy Program at MIT.  Her research interests focus on policy considerations for air pollutants in China and potential co-benefits those policies may have for mercury reductions globally.  She spends her free time riding bicycles around the Boston area and cooking.

Twitter: @Corey_Tucker22

Sheila Xu

Sheila was born and raised half of her life in Texas and the other half in New England, but heads back home to Las Vegas, Nevada during breaks.She is currently an undergraduate senior in a joint major between Science, Technology, and Society and Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences to partake in her love for both humanities and science fields.  Her past research experiences include interning for NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory’s Earth Science group on modeling the Californian sea level rise. One of the notable past experiences was working for John Volpe National Transportation Center and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on scenario analysis of production and demand of alternative aviation fuel, which led to a published final report that was already referenced in the FAA’s Climate Action Plan and used as part of the UN’s Committee for Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP) Alternative Fuels Ad Hoc Group’s efforts to synthesize information on future fuel trends. Lately, Sheila has been focusing on her social science research projects on the Deaf community and entrepreneurship, and is thinking about going to a graduate school in the social sciences.